Dr. Gold's research focuses on the relationships between environmental exposures and the incidence or severity of respiratory diseases, including asthma. The environmental exposures considered include indoor allergens, including fungi, smoking, outdoor ozone and particles. She investigates the environmental exposures which may explain socioeconomic, cultural and gender differences which have been observed in asthma severity. These include perinatal exposures and family stress as well as exposure to the allergens and pollutants mentioned above. She is also interested in the cardiopulmonary effects of particles on the elderly.
- Schwartz J, Gold D, Weiss ST, Speizer FE. Predictors of asthma and persistent wheeze in a national sample of U.S. children: association with social class, perinatal events and race. Am Rev Respir Dis 1990;142:555-562.
- Castillejos M, Gold DR, Damokosh AL, Serrano P, Allen G, McDonnell WF, Dockery D, Velasco SR, Hernandez M, Hayes C. Acute effects of ozone in the pulmonary function of exercising schoolchildren from Mexico City. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1995;152:1501-07.
- Gold DR, Wang X, Wypij D, Speizer FE, Ware JH, Dockery DW. Effects of cigarette smoking on lung function in adolescent boys and girls. N Engl J Med 1996;335:931-937.
- Gold DR, Allen G, Damokosh A, Serrano D, Hayes C, Castillejos M. Comparison of outdoor and classroom ozone exposures for schoolchildren in Mexico City. J Air Waste Manage Assoc 1996;46:335-42.
- Chew GL, Burge HA, Dockery DW, Muilenberg MS, Weiss ST, Gold DR. Limitations of a home characteristics questionnaire as a predictor of indoor allergen levels: Clinical and epidemiologic implications. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1998;157:1536-1541.
- Litonjua A, Carey VJ, Burge HA, Weiss ST, Gold DR. Parental history of asthma and allergies as predictors of childhood asthma: does mother confer more risk than father? Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1998;158:176-181.
- Gold DR, Damokosh AI, Pope A, Dockery D, McDonnell WF, Serrano P, Retama A, Castillejos M. Particulate matter and ozone pollutant effects on the respiratory function of children in Southwest Mexico City. Epidemiology 1999;10:8-16.
- Loomis D, Castillejos M, Gold DR, McDonnell W, Borja-Aburto VH. Air pollution and infant mortality in Mexico City. Epidemiology 1999;10:118-123.
- Gold DR, Burge HA, Carey V, Milton DK, Platts-Mills T, Weiss St. Predictors of repeated wheeze in the first year of life: the relative roles of cockroach, birth weight, acute lower respiratory illness, and maternal smoking. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 1999;160:227-236.
- Litonjua AA, Carey VJ, Weiss ST, Gold DR. Race, socio-economic factors, and area of residence are associated with asthma prevalence. Pediatr Pulmonol 1999;28:394-401.
- Gold DR, Litonjua A, Schwartz J, Lovett E, Larson A, Nearing B, Allen G, Verrier M, Cherry R, Verrier R. Ambient pollution and heart rate variability. Circulation 2000;101(11):1267-1273.
- Litonjua AA, Carey VJ, Burge HA, Weiss ST, Gold DR. Exposure to cockroach allergen in the home is associated with new-onset asthma and recurrent wheezing. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2001;107:41-47.
- Park JH, Gold DR, Spiegelman DL, Burge HA, Milton DK. House dust endotoxin and wheeze in the first year of life. Amer J Resp Crit Care Med 2001;163:322-328.
- Lewis SA, Weiss ST, Platts-Mills, TAE, Syring M, Gold DR. Association of specific allergen sensitization with socioeconomic factors and allergic disease in a population of Boston women. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2001;107(4):615-622.
- Celedon JC, Litonjua AA, Ryan L, Weiss ST, Gold DR. Day care, respiratory tract illnesses, wheezing, asthma, and total serum IgE level in early childhood. Arch Pediat Adol Med 2002;156:241-245.
- Lewis, SA, Weiss ST, Platts-Mills TA, Burge H, Gold DR. The role of indoor allergen sensitization and exposure in causing morbidity in women with asthma. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002;165(7):961-966.
- Celedon JC, Litonjua AA, Ryan L, Weiss ST, Gold DR. Lack of association between antibiotic use in the first year of life and asthma, allergic rhinitis or eczema at age 5 years. Amer J Resp Crit Care Med 2002;166:72-75.
- Litonjua AA, Milton DK, Celedon JC, Ryan L, Weiss ST, Gold DR. A longitudinal analysis of wheezing in young children: The independent effects of early life exposure to house dust endotoxin, allergens, and pets. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2002;110(5):736-742.
- Celedon JC, Litonjua AA, Ryan L, Platts-Mills T, Weiss ST, Gold DR. Exposure to cat allergen, maternal history of asthma and wheezing in the first five years of life. Lancet September 2002;360:781-782.
- Celedon JC, Litonjua AA, Ryan L, Weiss ST, Gold DR. Bottle feeding in the bed or crib before sleep time and wheezing in early childhood. Pediatrics 2002;110(6):1-5.
- Platts-Mills TAE, Erwin EA, Allison AB, Blumenthal K, Barr MB, Sredl D, Burge H, Gold DR. The relevance of maternal immune responses to inhalant allergens to maternal symptoms, passive transfer to the infant, and the development of antibodies in the first two years of life. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2003;111:123-30.
- Celedón JC, Wright RJ, Litonjua AA, Sredl D, Ryan L, Weiss ST, Gold DR. Day care attendance in early life, maternal history of asthma, and asthma at age 6 years. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2003;167:1239-41.
- Gold DR, Damokosh AI, Dockery DW, Berkey CS. Body-Mass index as a predictor of incident asthma in a prospective cohort of children. Pediatric Pulm 2003;36:514-521.
- Phipatanakul W, Celedon JC, Raby BA, Litonjua AA, Milton DK, Sredl D, Weiss ST, Gold DR. endotoxin exposure and eczema in the first year of life. Pediatrics 2004;113:468-474.
- Contreras JP, Gold DR, Hongzhen H, Wand M, Weiss ST, Perkins DL, Finn PW. Allergen induced cytokine production, atopic disease, IgE and wheeze in children. JACI 2003 (accepted).